Simplifying + Fashion
Simple Jewelry Organization DIY11:30 AM
Jewelry multiplies! One day I have 4 necklaces and the next I am up to 10. Some are gifts, some are heirlooms from my family, and others are random items I have accumulated over the years (who knows how). I think a chunk have come from JCrew or Anthropologie during big sales.
Recently I looked at the piles and decided it was time to act. That is how this DIY came about!
What you will need:
- A piece of wood cut to the size you need based on how much jewelry you have and the spot on your home for your newly organized jewelry
- Fabric to cover the wood
- A series of drawer pulls and knobs
- An electric drill and drill bit fit with 3/16" drill bit (typical pull/knob size)
- Nails or fish eye hooks for earrings and smaller items
- Staple gun or duct tape
- I started as I always do with my simple chic principle (more here too)...go through your jewelry and put it into piles. Normally when cleaning out/organizing I have a love pile and an everything else pile, but for jewelry I give myself 3 piles - love, everything else, and family heirlooms.
- The heirloom pile is what you don't see hidden inside the prada boxes. I love to save pretty and well made boxes. They often come in handy and are pretty easy to come by especially on vacation (I use a Lauduree macaroon box from a trip to Paris to hold more jewelry).
- On top of the dresser in my closet is a big spot perfect for a "vanity" and after taking rough measurements I bought a piece of leftover wood from a local hardware store. The piece of wood I used was 1/2in. thick (anything around 1/2in will work). I think most hardware stores will cut wood to any size.
- Looking at the amount of jewelry I had to organize I purchased a series of knobs and pulls. Mine were from the sale bin at Anthropologie.
- Lay the fabric over the wood and attach it (I used a staple gun). If you don't have a staple gun you could also use duct tape.
- Before drilling the holes for the hooks I placed the jewelry on the wood and decided on the ideal placement. I marked it with a permanent marker on the fabric in a small dot.
- I drilled holes for the pulls/knobs and then screwed them into place.
- For the littler items such as earrings or bracelets I hammered in nails and screwed in the fish eye hooks.
- The last step is putting up your jewelry and you are done!
Everything else that is laid out on my "vanity" are things I loved. The boxes holding the remaining jewelry have special memories attached to them. Same with the little dishes I use to hold the few really delicate items that I don't want to hang up.
share this on »